Tuesday, February 20, 2007

In the heat of DCCAS testing...

We are now in the heat of DCCAS testing and I'm looking for ways to get students to do well on the testing. One of the main problems I believe students have is with interpreting and reading into the word problems. There are effective strategies in attacking word problems and I'm always looking for ways to help students get over the phobia of doing word problems.

So, as a follow up to my last post... here is a reading guide that I plan to use in my class later this week to help students attack some word problems on the DCCAS.

Click here for the document. Many thanks to the head of our math department for providing this great reading/study guide.

I believe this will get students to critically think about word problems that they encounter on standardized testing and I'll see how the lesson goes later this week...

-MF EDOOMCATOR

1 comment:

MV said...

A very useful document. I think one of the things we don't often do for our students is provide for them the tools and resources for engagin in various school and world literacies and events. The document you shared certainly is a wonderful tool that makes visible ways of dealing with word problems and more.

vivian